Tuesday, January 25, 2011

dollars for doughnuts


For lunch today, I went to a quiet cafe with a bunch of paperwork and ate while I worked. At some point, I decided I needed a cup of coffee, so I went up to the counter to request it. An elderly lady was there staring at the pastry case, so when the counter guy asked me what I wanted, I said, "Oh, she was here first. But when you're done serving her, I'd like a cup of coffee." He said he'd bring it back to my table.

When he did, he said, "And the lady at the counter bought your coffee, because you told me to serve her first. She wanted to thank you for your kindness."

I'm still gobsmacked. That wasn't kindness; it was basic manners, not even special bend-over-backwards manners. It was simple ethics. I would have chased after her to thank her, but she had already driven off. Thank you, elderly lady in turquoise, wherever you are!

And now I have proof that contrary to what K. loves telling my mother at every opportunity, I was brought up right!

No comments: