Monday, December 8, 2008

Rothman Mayor of Upland

OK, so I'm sitting on Sunday, reading the Saturday DB (I was busy with the Pomona Heritage Christmas Dinner all day Saturday), and to what do my wondering eyes should appear? But an item in the "rail" (the first column on page 1) as shown at the left that made me wonder if there were visions of sugarplums dancing in my head. With the kicker head of UPLAND, I might have passed it over, but I was shocked to learn that Upland was considering appointing a new councilperson for district 5, and that Elliott Rothman had been elected mayor of Upland. Had the election all been just an undigested bit of beef, a blot of mustard, a crumb of cheese, a fragment of underdone potato?

But no, when I got to page 10 to read the story, Monica Rodriguez had all the facts right, and the story was about our own Pomona election.

So much for the efficiencies of the DB combining staff with the San Bernardino Sun. Evidently copy editors and proofreaders in the far east have no idea which city is which and can't write a teaser with the correct information, even though one would assume that they were looking at Monica's article as reference. I know that mistakes happen (anyone who's read the Pomona Heritage newsletter knows that I make my share), but a newspaper is supposed to have quality control in place. That's why editors and proofreaders are so vital to a news organization.

No comments: