Sunday, March 29, 2009

smith & wesson meet bartles & jaymes



Yesterday's wino wonderland at dba256 was big fun. The organizer (gotta think of a smartass pseudonym for him/her!) was worried that there wouldn't be enough people, but I gotta tell ya, Pomona Heritage rep-re-SENT!

Here's what we drank:

1. A sauvignon blanc from the Marlborough region of New Zealand (I didn't get the name).
2. A Santa Rita chardonnay from Chile.
3. A Barreto Cellars tempranillo from Lodi.
4. A Ventana merlot from the Arroyo Seco area of Monterey.

The wines were good, although I volunteer to help bargain on a price for future adventures, as it was rather overpriced. But it was great to see people I know and meet people I didn't. And of course I'm always eager to support a local business, even one with two @#$% TVs over the bar (hi, Ron!).

Oh, yeah, I took a pikkie. Don't worry, folks -- I actually braved the ever-daunting Photoshop to blur out the faces, so as not to violate folks' privacy. But I didn't blur out the evidence of a great time being had by all, I hope.
That was the Bartles & Jaymes part of the show; the Smith & Wesson part is, WHAT THE HECK IS UP WITH ALL THIS GUNFIRE?!?!?!? (Aren't you proud of me for saying "heck" instead of what I was really thinking?) Tonight is the third night this week I've heard the telltale pop!-pop!-pop! as I'm lolling on the couch of an evening. Does an economy down the crapper make people want to go shoot off a few rounds, and if so, why do it on Pearl Street instead of Wall Street?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Was it gunfire or possibly your ears popping from too much wine?

Anonymous said...

Ren better start worrying if us riff-raff start taking pictures!

I'm thinking the gunfire appearing in communities like Pomona reflects the success of socioeconomic policies that limit the criminally-inclined (not white collar crime) to certain areas or cities. I'm not suggesting the crime problem is caused by poverty, but rather that the gun-firing type of criminal is more likely to be poor. Force all cities to provide affordable housing and then all americans can share the burden.

Andrew said...

I just read this from a blog i visit
Bullets From the Drug War
maybe that's a reason

Unknown said...

Hey I dont give a rats ass just as long you get my good side and I have my number one finger up.

Andrew said...

the connection between poverty and homicide is a myth. Perfect example: Nicaragua, it's the second poorest country in the western hemisphere but also one of the safest

Anonymous said...

Sorry, you need to reread what I'm saying. I'm not suggesting that poverty is creating the criminal, but instead the type of criminal willing to shoot a gun is more likely to be poor. You actually support part of my argument with your reference to Nicaragua.

If you track where parolees might live, do we find a greater correlation with poor residential areas or wealthy ones? Are less affluent cities (and residents) carrying a larger crime burden. Compare the percentage of city budget that goes to the police department in Claremont, LaVerne and Pomona and you'll see my point.

I'm just trying to answer Meg's question by pointing to public policy and not economics.

Pride in Garfield Park said...

Thankfully, the night sky over Garfield Park has been on the quiet side this past month.

Andrew said...

oh my bad. I switched the causality around. i basically "read" your comment backwards.
I do believe that even in poor communities with the right type of community involvement and attitude in the city, crime can be reduced without an increase in economic buoyancy.