Friday, March 20, 2009

sustain thyself

I suspect all you Knackers (what better name for the readers of M-M-M-My Pomona?) also read Anduhrew's Student in Pomona blog, but just in case you missed it, he has asked me to pimp the Sustainability Workshop being held at the Regen Coop on April 4. The schedule looks pretty fascinating -- Meg-Bob sez check it out.

Speaking of such things, I have pals in Claremont who keep chickens, and I know that it's pretty common in Pomona too. Does anyone know offhand the laws on chooks? In Claremont, you can only have hens -- roosters are streng verboten. Is that the case here too?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've had chickens at various times in Pomona. No roosters is the rule, though some can usually be heard in the distance.

West Nile Virus and other bird diseases come through every 15 or 20 years or so, so domestic bird populations fluctuate. In the past some of my neighbors have also raised pheasant, guinea fowl, quail, doves, cockatiels, canaries.

calwatch said...

See Chapter 6, Animals: http://www.municode.com/resources/gateway.asp?sid=5&pid=13712 and the zoning ordinance: http://www.ci.pomona.ca.us/city_departments/community_development/planning/pdf/ZoningOrdinance.pdf section .5809.9. Basically, keep it 25 feet away from the street, and don't keep 15 or more of them, because then you are considered a poultry ranch.

Andrew said...

Thanks for the plug! I hope all your readers attend!

K said...

Unfortunately, I noticed that the Sustainability Workshop is on opposite the always-fascinating Pomona Heritage Old Home Restoration Workshop. That's a tough choice!

Andrew said...

calwatch. that is something i've been needing to know. thank you I'm going to get some chickens in a few weeks! WOOHOO!