Tuesday, July 21, 2009

good press for our fair city

Was anybody else listening to KPCC just now? Their five-minute segment of local news featured the PBID as the lead story, and it started out by observing that downtown had gone from a dingy dump to a hip, happenin' place. David Campbell was interviewed for the pro side and Craig Olson for the con -- and given their tenses, I'm guessing they were interviewed before the vote. In any case, it was a really upbeat story. I've met three different couples who drove out from Pasadena for a Saturday Art Walk; perhaps this story will increase the number of foreign visitors further.

5 comments:

Kat Greene said...

I love Pomona, always have, always will. And it's all because as a teenager I always saw shows at the Glass House and have seen the art's colony grow up with me.

John Clifford said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
John Clifford said...

Gee, I missed it, but I just got an email from the author of the piece, Dan Ucko. I had forgotten that he had gotten my contact information and had asked to interview me at the first DPOA recertification meeting at the city council.

He has posted the entire story on his blog (http://plugintodan.wordpress.com/2009/07/21/pomonas-big-changes/,). It's a very well done piece on the changes in downtown.

In his email he also suggests that Cal Poly students don't really come to downtown and that perhaps it might be a good idea to have a shuttle from campus to the CP downtown center on 2nd & 4th Saturdays. Sounds like a good cooperative idea for Cal Poly and DPOA to work on. Larry Egan, you listening?

Andrew said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Andrew said...

I got that e-mail too, Dan was at the fund raiser last night with a group of people, and I spoke with him very briefly

I think this is something I can work on. I'm on the university's student government, and also the director of the department i'm doing my graduate studies in was integral in getting a shuttle from the train station to cal poly.

I think with those two connections and maybe also the DPOA help something can be worked out.

I tried at one point to see if our secretary of external affairs would visit some businesses and discuss discounts on certain nights (non artwalk nights) for students with Cal Poly ID's. maybe I should pick that up again while I'm out of school and things aren't so busy.