Saturday, July 18, 2009

report from the field

Like PiGP, K. and I have just gotten back from the burn-razing. To add to the request for boxes and packing supplies, they are dreadfully in need of work gloves. I may swing by the 99¢ Store and see if I can pick some up later today. The work party at Dawn's is in need of tools (not sure which specific ones). And Pam and Larry need bureaus to hold the many clothes they've been given.

I had never actually met Pam, so it was great to put a face to the name. I also got to meet Eliot and Jason Rothman, who looked like an ordinary suburban father and son. Which is what you'd expect, except that my only image for the mayor was the photo that hangs in city hall, so I was expecting a suit, not a guy in a polo shirt and baseball cap. Silly me.

Councilman Tim Saunders brought a sno-cone machine, and I gotta say, I've never had a better sno-cone. He kept encouraging his helper to put more syrup on our sno-cones. Other folks had brought hot dogs, sub sandwiches, and all kinds of things. Really, you've never seen such a community turnout; there must have been 75 people working between the two houses.

The principal and teachers of Golden Springs Elementary were there in force -- one of Pam's little girls (grandaughter?) goes to the school. When Pam was talking about everybody's help, she started to get choked up, but I was already a couple of chokes ahead of her. Pomona, you amaze me!

Work will be going on every day, so come on down when you can. Someone is sure to put you to work and thank you for coming. It's a great way to get some exercise (no need to go to the gym today), meet your neighbors (and city officials!), and polish your halo, so don't be shy! If you see me (look for a Campbell's Soup Kid in a floppy hat), say hey.

2 comments:

Andrew said...

i may have just missed you. I was there for a visit to talk with Lee and see how things were going. That sno-cone machine is AWESOME i'm going to look for one at garage sales now.

John Clifford said...

There is a great posting from Pam Henry on her Oh Pomona blog (http://pomonaprattle.blogspot.com/2009/07/dear-pomona.html). It's a thank you and a recap of what went on yesterday.

Be sure to stop by and say hi.